This makes over 100 doughnuts but you can half or even quarter it.
- 4 1/2 C Water
- 1 1/2 t Salt
- 1 C Margarine (or butter)
- 5 Eggs (if halfing, my mom suggests using 3 eggs)
- 1 C Sugar
- 2 C Mashed Potatoes (left overs are fine as long as you didn't add garlic or ranch to them)
- 2 t Nutmeg
- 14 C Flour
- In small bowl, mix 1/2 C water, 2 T yeast, and 1 t sugar. Let brew.
- In large bowl (as in HUGE) mix 4 C water, salt, margarine, eggs, sugar, mashed potatoes, nutmeg.
- Add yeast mixture and mix with a wire wisp. Add flour and mix with a wooden spoon until all flour is moist.
- Let rise in bowl until double (approx. 1 1/2 hours)
- Roll our and cut into doughnuts or bars and let rise again until double (approx. 1 1/2 hours)
- Deep fry in very hot oil. Place the side that was up while rising in the oil first, then turn..
- Glaze, eat!
- Mix 4 C powdered sugar with enough milk to make a glaze (not frosting), mix with a wire wisp.
|We made ours pumpkin shaped. They didn't keep their shape too well in the rising/frying process.|
|Deep frying - be careful!|
|We added orange food dye to our glaze since we made "pumpkins"|
These were yummy. We're glad we had the Voice Male gang here to help us eat them!