Monday, May 16, 2011

Awesome Pizza Dough Recipe

I found a recipe online and then tweaked it a bit (of course). The original is Jay's Signature Pizza Crust on allrecipes.com.

The crust turned out really great. It had a really light texture, was crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside. The flavor was great too. It is fairly easy to make (you do need to plan on starting your dough about 2 hours before you plan to eat though).
Here is a piece of our pizza from last night. See how yummy that crust looks!
Ingredients: (for two large pizzas or three medium pizzas)
  • 1 T active dry yeast
  • 1 t brown sugar (or honey)
  • 3 C warm water
  • 2 t salt
  • 1/4 C olive oil
  • 5 C all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 C wheat flour


Directions:

  1. In a large bowl (or your Kitchen Aid bowl), dissolve the yeast and sugar in the water. Let sit 10 minutes (be patient and let it sit).
  2. Add the salt and oil and mix.
  3. Add half the white four and all of the wheat flour. Mix.
  4. Knead in the remaining flour until the dough is no longer sticky and has a nice smooth texture.
  5. Place the dough in a well oiled bowl (let's be honest, I just lifted the dough, sprayed my already-used bowl with olive oil spray and then plunked the dough back into it, I then sprayed the top of my dough with a little of the olive oil spray).
  6. Cover and let rise until double (approximately 1 hour).
  7. Punch down dough and form into balls (3 for 3 pizzas, etc.). Let it relax a bit before you start to spread it.
  8. Form into the shape of your pizza pan. Because the dough is quite rubbery, I found a small (like fits in my hand) roller to be essential. Before Phil bought me said roller, I would use a small glass and that worked as well.
  9. Preheat your oven to 425 and then top your pizza with your favorite toppings.
  10. Bake until the cheese and crust are golden brown (about 15-20 minutes).

1 comment:

  1. Heidi
    I am so glad you posted on my blog, I've been out of the blogging world for a while now, and I don't remember anybodies blogspot address. Your house looks awesome, Love the paint and love all the decor, its so sweet to see how much you keep Phil so close to you and Eden. Always thinking of you, you are amazing. Hope to see you this summer sometime, Maybe you can come down to Bountiful and swim for a weekend or week or month...anything to keep our minds off of Jaime leaving us :)

    ReplyDelete