Monday, May 2, 2011

Chocolate Cake (no eggs)

Today we made cupcakes and then gave them away (while asking for a donation for the Alabama Tornado Relief effort). It was great fun and we made almost $130 to send to our friends in 'bama.


I did a batch of regular yellow cake from a box and then wanted a chocolate option. Also, one of my neighbor boys is allergic to eggs so I thought this recipe would be a good one so he could enjoy a cupcake too.

So, without further ado, here is the recipe (growing up we called this Mystery Cake - I guess because of the vinegar):


2 1/2 C Flour
1 1/2 C Sugar
4 1/2 T Cocoa
1 1/2 t Baking Soda
3/4 t Salt
1/2 C oil (or margarine)
1 1/2 T Vinegar
1 1/2 t Vanilla
1 1/2 C Cold Water

Mix dry ingredients then add oil, vinegar, vanilla, and water.
Bake at 350 for 18 minutes (cupcakes) or 30-35 minutes (cake rounds)

*****
For the frosting I just threw things together without measuring but my guess would be (and this was for a double batch):

1/2 C butter
1/4 C shortening
1/3-1/2 C cocoa
1 t vanilla
1 T millk
enough powdered sugar to make it the right consistency (maybe 2 C?)

No comments:

Post a Comment