Thursday, February 9, 2012

Chicken, Tomato, Spinach and Tortellini Soup

I wanted soup the other day. We've recently discovered Eden is lactose intolerant and so I couldn't go to my stand-by of potato soup. I looked in the pantry and here is what I came up with:
  • 1 Can Chicken Broth
  • 1 Can Stewed Tomatoes
  • 1/2 C Chopped Chicken
  • 3/4 C uncooked Cheese-filled Tortellini
  • 1/2 C Fresh (or flash frozen) Spinach
  • Italian Herbs (I used thyme and basil) to taste
  • Pepper to taste (the broth and tomatoes both have plenty of sodium so you shouldn't need salt)
  • Shredded Mozzarella Cheese for on top (this is low in lactose so I used it, if you aren't dealing with LI issues you could use Parmesan)
  1. Put the broth and tomatoes in a pot and bring to a simmer. 
  2. Add herbs (dried or fresh) - you could also add garlic here.
  3. Add the chicken and tortellini. 
  4. One minute before the tortellini is cooked through add the spinach.
  5. Ladle into bowls and sprinkle cheese on top.
Serve with bread or biscuits and some fruit.

This is a beautiful soup with a hearty yet fresh taste–not heavy. I will definitely be making this again!

 (I really should get pictures of my food so I can show you but I'm always too busy devouring it to take a picture so you'll just have to take my word for it.)

No comments:

Post a Comment