Friday, May 22, 2009

Food Friday - Sour Cream Stuff

This is Phil's favorite family recipe. His parents make this and he loves it. I've made it a couple of times for him but I don't seem to quite capture the essence of his mom's cooking. Even with that caveat, I share this awesome recipe with you.

3 T oil
2 T diced onion
1 clove garlic - minced
1 1/2 lb round steak - cubed
1 C slice mushrooms
8 oz (1 can) tomato sauce
1 C sour cream
1 t Worcestershire sacue
1 t salt
1/4 t pepper
6 medium potatoes, pared
6 medium carrots, scraped or pared

  • Put oil in large skillet, add onion, garlic and meat then brown about 7 minutes.
  • Add mushrooms, tomato sauce, sour cream, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper - mix.
  • Heat to boiling.
  • Lower heat and simmer for 45 minutes.
  • Put mixture, potatoes, and corrots into crockpot - mix.
  • Cook on low for 6-8 hours.

4 comments:

  1. Hey, I have all the ingredients! I'm making it today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...and the results? Everyone ate it! That may not sound like high praise but in this house it is. It was very good and I'm excited to have something else to add to my "go to" list. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't there also a Phil favorite called Green Stuff? I remember getting the recipe from him once. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jill, TOTALLY! "Stuff" is a big word for this family. We actually made a cookbook for all his brothers this last Christmas and every recipe title had the word "stuff" in it. Hilarious! Kids Stuff is starting to make sense now, isn't it? :0)

    ReplyDelete