Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Cabbage and Apples

I found this "heart-healthy" recipe in a book by Zorba Paster (the doctor with a show on NPR). It is very tasty and might even be added to our Thanksgiving menu. This serves 4 and takes about 40 minutes (10 minutes prep and 30 minutes of simmering).

  • 2 T Olive Oil
  • 1 medium Onion, coarsely chopped
  • 2 Granny Smith apples, coarsely chopped
  • 1T Flour
  • 1 C Water
  • 1/2 C Red wine vinegar
  • 2 T Sugar
  • 1 medium Green cabbage, shredded
  • 1 Bay leaf
  1. Heat oil in a large skillet.
  2. Add onion and apples, and toss to coat.
  3. Stir over medium heat until the onion is limp
  4. Sprinkle on flour and continue stirring until mixture "foams." (I didn't ever really get a "foam."
  5. Pour in water and vinegar.
  6. Bring to a boil.
  7. Stir in sugar.
  8. Add cabbage, stirring to coat.
  9. Drop in bay leaf.
  10. Reduce heat and cover.
  11. Simmer for 25-30 minutes until cabbage is crisp-tender.
  12. Remove bay leaf
  13. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds yummy, I'll have to try it because I LOVE cabbage. Now if I could just get the rest of my family on board. My german Grandma used to make something similar, but it was red cabbage and apples. It was always a favorite of mine!- Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  2. somehow it cabbage and apples doesn't sound appealing together, but maybe I'll give it a try

    ReplyDelete